Assistant language teacher
If you provide a FEDEX envelop to receive your passport at your residence’s address, this envelop MUST mention:
From: your address (NOT the address of the French Consulate)
To: your address
A "lecteur de langue étrangère" may teach in a French high school or university.
An "assistant de langue vivante" may teach English in a French high school.
* From the 1st of June 2009, long stay visa holders will be allowed to reside in France for up to 12 months according to the validity of their visa and purpose of stay. They will no longer be required to obtain a residence permit ("carte de séjour") from the French local authorities ("Préfecture") as long as their visa is valid.
* However, long stay visa holders will have to register to the French Office of Immigration and Integration (OFII) during the first three months of their stay in France.
Please note that the new regulations applicable from the 1st of June 2009 will require a longer processing time to issue long stay visas that will serve as first residence permits.
* You must obtain your visa while in the USA. The visa cannot be issued once the applicant is in France.
Yes except if you are a citizen of Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco or of the European Economic Area :
Also special rules apply for family members of an European Union citizen.
No appointment will be given at the counter, by e-mail or by phone.
Each applicant (children included) has to appear personally at the Consulate and should have his own appointment.
Applicants arriving late will not be accommodated and must reschedule their appointments.
Minor applicants have to be accompanied by their mother or father or legal guardian at the personal interview.
Usually 3 weeks but 2 months for citizens from :
|US Re-entry permit||US Refugee travel document||Rwanda|
|Syria||Yemen||United Arab Emirates|
Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.
|Please provide us with the original + copies of each document. The visa section does not make any copies, you must bring your documents and the required number of copies.|
passport or travel document (+ ONE
COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have
been issued less than 10 years ago,
be valid for at least three months
after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
application form filled out completely and signed by the
applicant. NO COPY.
- 37 kb
- Application Form
- One residence form duly filled out (upper part only).
- 199.3 kb
- Residence form
- Two (2) recent ID pictures (white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth taken less than 90 days ago) .
- A work
contract duly stamped by the French authorities :
"assistants de langue vivante" : Your "Arrêté de nomination" stamped by the French Ministry of Labor (Direction
Départementale du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la
Formation Professionnelle - D.D.T.E.F.P.) (original + 1 photocopy).
"lecteurs de langue étrangère": Either a work agreement fromFrench Office of immigration and integration (OFII). For more information contact the University in France
that will host you or the OFII. This
document is usually sent directly by the OFII to the consulate.Or a "protocole d’accueil" for scientist,professors and researchers to be provided by
the university (original + 1 photocopy). In this case, please check the
information regarding the long stay visa for scientists, professors and researchers.
If you cannot come back to the Consulate to pick up your passport and your visa (the Consulate will keep your passport during the processing time), you will need to provide, at the time of the application, a self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number (FEDEX, UPS, EXPRESS MAIL). FEDEX envelope with you account number and FEDEX Ground envelopes are NOT accepted. You may use one envelope per family if you buy “flat rate”.
Please keep your tracking number on the envelope so that you can check the status of your package delivery. The Consulate is not responsible for losses. You will have to fill out all the information on the prepaid envelope:
Your full name
Your full name
Envelopes with the Consulate as Sender will not be accepted.
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.
- For "assistants de langue vivante" : Your "Arrêté de nomination" stamped by the French Ministry of Labor (Direction Départementale du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Formation Professionnelle - D.D.T.E.F.P.) (original + 1 photocopy).