"Au pair" visa
If you provide a FEDEX envelop to receive your passport at your residence’s address, this envelop MUST mention:
From: your address (NOT the address of the French Consulate)
To: your address
Read general information before applying.
The applicant should apply for the visa and should obtain it in his/her country of residence before arriving in France.
You have to apply with the French Consulate in Houston only if you reside in one of the following states: Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and and Louisiana.
If you do not reside in one of those states, you have to apply with another French Consulate, depending on where you live in the United states. To know where to apply, click here.
You can only apply for this visa if you are between 17 and 30 years old.
IN ORDER TO IMPROVE OUR SERVICES, IT IS MANDATORY TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT ON LINE. NO APPOINTMENT WILL BE GIVEN BY PHONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
Personal appearance is required
An average processing time with a minimum of 2 weeks will be necessary.
The visa is a long stay student visa , multiple entries, valid from 3 to 12 months, depending on the length of the stay. There is no need to apply for a resident card (« carte de séjour »), since this visa will replace the resident card for up to one year. If the studies are extended after a year in France, an appointment must be taken with the préfecture at least 2 months before the expiry of the visa, in order to request a Resident Card ("Carte de Séjour").
It does not concern persons who wish to study in New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna, and Mayotte : contact the French consulate at firstname.lastname@example.org
The holder of the visa will need to register at the local branch of the OFII (French Office for Immigration and Integration) in the three months following the arrival in France. The OFII will apply a stamp aknowledging the presence on the French territory.
click here to access the OFII website.
This visa allows travel in the Schengen zone.
The visa section does not make any copies.
- Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
- One application form in French OR in English filled out completely and signed by the applicant. NO COPY.
- 1 OFII application form
- A secured self-addressed prepaid envelope (FedEx, UPS, Express mail…) in order to get your passport back with the visa, if you don’t live in Houston.
Your passport will be kept during the processing time.
- 1 recent passport size photograph. DO NOT GLUE to the form.
- For non American citizen : a proof of resident status in the USA and its copy.( green card, valid US visa and copy of valid I-20 or valid I-AP66, visas...). Applications for a short stay visa from holders of B1/B2 visas in the United States are subject to a heavier and longer procedure, and personal appearance is required.
- A employment contract (contrat de travail) signed by the labor Department (DDTEFP : Direction départementale du travail, de l’emploi et de la formation professionnelle) in France. IMPORTANT: you absolutely have to bring to the French Consulate the ORGINAL of this contract. A copy only is not accepted.
- A letter of admission from a French school. (at least 10 hours a week)
- Processing fees: by credit card (Visa, Mastercard) or cash (exact amount only). Personal checks or American Express are not accepted.
NB. If you cannot come back to the Consulate to pick up your passport and your visa (the Consulate will keep your passport during the processing time), you will need to provide, at the time of the application, a self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number (FEDEX, UPS, EXPRESS MAIL). FEDEX envelope with you account number and FEDEX Ground envelopes are NOT accepted. You may use one envelope per family if you buy “flat rate”.
Please keep your tracking number on the envelope so that you can check the status of your package delivery. The Consulate is not responsible for losses. You will have to fill out all the information on the prepaid envelope:
Your full name
Your full name
Envelopes with the Consulate as Sender will not be accepted.
The Consular Administration has full authority to appreciate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. Note that the visa does not in itself grant you the right to enter a French territory. It is necessary that you carry the original documents used to obtain the visa with you at all times. Border authorities may request that you show them upon entry to France.